Shopify, the leading e-commerce platform, provides a robust API that allows developers to extend its functionality by creating custom apps. Laravel, a powerful PHP framework, offers an excellent platform for developing web applications. In this article, we’ll learn creating a Shopify App using Laravel and how to leverage the features of Laravel to create a Shopify app from scratch.
1. Install Laravel: To develop the Shopify app, we need to have Laravel installed on our system. Follow the official Laravel documentation to install the framework.
1. Create a New Laravel Project: Use the Laravel CLI to create a new Laravel project. Open your terminal or command prompt and navigate to the desired directory. Run the command laravel new shopify-app to create a new Laravel project named “shopify-app.”
1. Configure the Database: Set up your database credentials in the .env file of your Laravel project. This configuration will allow your app to store necessary data.
1. Install Required Packages: Laravel provides a convenient package manager called Composer. Use Composer to install the required packages for Shopify app development. Run composer require laravel-shopify/shopify to install the Shopify package for Laravel.
Authentication is a crucial step in connecting your Shopify app with the Shopify API. Here’s how you can authenticate your app with Shopify:
1. Register a Shopify Partner Account: Visit the Shopify Partner website and create a partner account. This account allows you to create and manage your apps on the Shopify platform.
1. Create a New App: Once you have a partner account, navigate to the “Apps” section and click on “Create App.” Fill in the required details, such as the app name, developer name, and the app URL.
1. Obtain API Credentials: After creating the app, Shopify will generate API credentials, including the API key and secret key. These credentials will be used for authenticating requests between your app and Shopify.
1. Configure Shopify Credentials in Laravel: Open your Laravel project and locate the .env file. Add the following lines to configure the Shopify API credentials: